Updated 2/28: Thanks to all who entered the Giveaway! The winners are Paige and Brooke! I will email you ladies to get you the hook up at SuperStar Gym. Have a great weekend all!
***Make sure you check out the giveaway at the end of this post!***
My friend texted me before this class when I told her I was going to FitWalker, “why do you need a class for power walking? Old bitches do that at the mall for free.”
Well, I’m old and crotchedy. I used to be cool-ish and went out every night in my 20s but something switched in my 30s and now I’m like, you are asking me to go out to a PLACE? Where there are PEOPLE?
I was interested in trying a FitWalker class at Superstar Gym because 1) there doesn’t seem to be anything else like it in NYC and 2) I was picturing some good old-fashion power walking, complete with purple jump suits and blue hair.
Turns out, this class was certainly not for old bitches. Here’s what went down:
45 minute class. The class name is actually a misnomer because there is a lot of high-intensity running and jogging which I did not expect. And that running is on a crazy incline a la Barry’s Bootcamp.
The FitWalkers are different than treadmills in that the platform does not move automatically. Rather, you are pushing the platform to move. And once you get enough momentum you are flying.
We broke up the jogging sections with luges, push-ups and tricep push-ups using the FitWalker and our body weight.
There was also a lot of fancy footwork. Think step aerobics but on a treadmill. Yes.
Also, think of the video below. And even if you are not thinking about FitWalker you should always think of the video below:
[side note: I found this internet gem recently and now cannot stop watching it. I don't know what is funnier: this dude's ridiculous footwork or the fact that NO ONE in the gym is even batting an eye]
Will You Survive?:
You will survive, with a few caveats:
- I was really bad at the choreography on the FitWalker. No it was not as crazy as the video above but more of step-aerobics on and off the machine with a high knee or a kick-back here and there. Not easy stuff but with a few classes, I could probably get the hang of it. Also, Katherine was ridiculously better at this than I was.
- I kept fearing I was going to fall off and go flying across the gym. I didn’t. But I was very careful and didn’t want to loosen my death grip on the machine. I think being overly cautious made me even worse at the choreography.
My fear probably stems from the time I was on the treadmill at my college gym and was chatting away and looking super awesome. And then did this:
The In Crowd:
The class was pretty small and made up of mostly first-timers.
Will You find a Date/Friend?:
While my particular group was all ladies, the class takes place inside a gym (a shiny, new gorgeous gym I might add) so you may see some hotties walking around.
Also, this class takes place on the ground level with enormous windows facing the street. I was so amused by some of the passerbys who were like, WHAT. IS. HAPPENING. But if you are single, maybe one of them will be like, hay girl after they see your fancy footwork. What? It’s not a stretch.
What to wear:
No purple jumpsuits. Wear sneakers and whatever you can sweat in.
How do I come up with the words to describe Christian? He is adorbs and super duper friendly. Also his muscles are so big they are almost cartoonish.
Superstar Gym is Italian. All of the equipment comes from Italy and their logo looks like it was inspired by the Ferrari. Christian fits this Euro vibe. He had the look and he had the oonce oonce playlist (which I admit I love).
My one critique? Instead of having us do every rep of squats, triceps, lunges, etc. in unison, we should do them, as you CrossFitters like to say, AMRAP (as many reps as possible) within a given time. Sometimes Christian’s counting was super fast and I could not keep up. During the push-up portion I was like, who can push-up that fast? (besides Christian, obvi).
Does it work?:
I must say, this class exceeded my expectations in difficulty and I definitely felt like a got a great, full-body werkout.
Walking Funny or Not So Sore?:
I wasn’t so sore but fitness beginners might be.
Keep your Blow-Out or Sweaty Beast?:
I was surprised at how much I sweat but it was more baby beast style.
One and Done or Do it a Ton?:
If you are looking for a cardio/strength werkout to change up your routine than I would suggest checking out FitWalker.
And now for the Giveaway:
If you are interested (which, why wouldn’t you be?), Superstar gym is graciously giving away 3 class passes to 2 lucky werkitinnyc readers.
- All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me why you want to win! I will select the winner on Friday, 2/28.
- Bonus entries if you ‘Like’ my new Facebook page (and comment below to let me know you did, otherwise it won’t be counted)! The FB page is total bare bones right now but I will be posting links to reviews and hot tips so be sure to like it even if you aren’t entering the giveaway!
- Bonus entries if you tweet with a link to this review (and comment below to let me know you did)!
Also, you won’t fall off the FitWalker, I promise. Here is a more accurate depiction of the class:
Know before you go:
- Superstar gym is located in Tribeca/Soho area: 452 Washington Street.
- Classes are $30 a pop.
- Check the sked and sign up online.
- Gorg locker rooms and clean, shiny showers.
- Towels and water cooler available.